Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sorry for the lack of food blogging I am hoping that I can get one or 2 out in the next month but I will be writing more fiction.

Illness stuck the house last night only Holly and I were not here. Griffin work up with a violent stomach bug. Poor boy and poor dad.

Well when this happen we again turn to Dr. Sears. He, although probably not the originator, taught us about the BRAT diet. Banana Rice Apple sauce and Toast.  Griffin easily goes for the first three. I add, from years of childhood experience, 7Up to drink and for protein chicken.
Well Once I got Home and Holly was redirected. Griffin and I watched some TV. Like all of us he settled in to watch some cooking shows on the PBS create network. He was taken by Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home. They were doing a bunch of things with chicken. 
The boiled up a whole chicken with Vegetables and some herbs to start with. The first thing they did was to serve the chicken up on a bed of white rice with the vegetables. Griffin was very taken with that idea and requested that for dinner. He was also very taken with the idea of a chicken pot pie which they also made.He wants that for Thanksgiving.
Since Griffin was sick and last time he was he lost weight quickly because he didn’t want to eat more than usual. I felt obligated to make this happen. So I took a couple of Chicken Breasts we had in the freezer and put that in a pot of water with three large carrots, 3 cloves of garlic, a few wedges of celeriac and our old stnad by a Knorr vegetable bullion cube. I let this simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. I had set the timer for 45 minutes once I got a rolling boil and then with 15 minutes remaining I started the rice cooker.
Well Griffin got rice sliced up carrot and chicken for Dinner and Bill and I spiced ours up with a little soy sauce. It worked out pretty well. The chicken was a bit dry probably from a little long cooking a being cooked straight from frozen and being boneless.

If you are curious the episode of Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home was #118 “Comfort Food: Poached Chicken, Chicken Pot Pie and Apple Tart Dessert”

I'll have to see if we can hold off on the pot pie until after Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment