Monday, October 12, 2009

Vegan Low Fat Ginger Cookies


As I have said before I like making cookies and one of the times I do this is when I feel I need to help people, and I don’t know what to do or can’t help in some way.

This prompted me to have to find some vegan ginger cookies. I searched the intenet and found several recipes. Yesterday I madethis recipe.

When I was picking recipes for a friend she was facing chemo and with that the possibility of nausea. She also loves ginger. So seeing a recipe that called for 5 tablespoons of fresh grated ginger it sounded perfect. Now I have to confess that the thought of getting the ginger grated I was a bit daunted. I made he some others for her and that is a different blog.

Now another friend is struggling with some trouble with digesting fats. It is completely unknown right now. But she too is a ginger fan and it finally sunk in that this is a almost fat free recipe. 0.3g of fat per cookie. Probably could make it fat free by using white flour instead of whole wheat.

Today was the day to try.

The things I learned were:
Alarge ginger root is about 5 tablespoons of grated ginger.
They taste best a little underdone.
I was reminded of how fibrous ginger is.
Using a good scoop to put the cookies on the pan is very important.
And if you don’t like ginger these cookies are not for you. They are very gingery. I really like them.
Those who tasted them tonight liked them. We did not inhale them but the recipe was taken home.

I will be trying this in the non low fat way and I will be experimenting with using powdered ginger because grating ginger in my food processor sucks. So I hope to have updates on these cookies in the future. Especially since I have promised them to some friends.

1 comment:

  1. You really have to like ginger a lot for cookies. The ginger flavor is VERY strong.

    ReplyDelete