Friday, October 9, 2009

I love to make cookies and I can usually get people to eat them. Not always my family but people like cookies.

In order to make more healthy cookies I have been looking for low fat whole grain and lower in refined sugar cookies.

This is not always easy. My first big success was some granola cookies that I made for some friend who were having a house warming and soup party a while back.  I was watching a young woman for the weekend whom as part of her disability it helped to keep here eating as little refined sugar as possible.  Bill like them but neither Holly or Griffin would touch them. The young woman loved them and they didn't make it through the party. Here is the recipe. I made recipe card so everyone could have them and I gave them all out.




Granola Cookies
From: The Family Nutrition Book
William and Martha Sears

1 egg beaten
1/3 cup softened butter or peanut oil
1/3 honey or barley malt
1/2tsp. vanilla
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 granola

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Mix the egg, butter , honey, and vanilla. In another bowl mix the salt baking soda and flour. Combine wet and dry mixtures. Mix in Granola until completely combined. Drop on cookie sheet by spoonfuls 1-2 inches apart. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes until edges are light brown.

Note: These will be different every time you make them depending on the the flavor and style of Granola you use. I used Cinnamon Apple Granola made by Nature’s Bakery Cooperative the first time I made these. They are very similar to oatmeal cookies.

-Vicki

(If you like cookies I have 3 or 4 more cookie posts planned)

No comments:

Post a Comment