Thursday, May 27, 2010

52 Weeks of Baking week 7 (5 for me)

I vowed to make something savory this week. So I an effort to come up with some more vegetarian lunches for myself that are easily portable I decided to experiment with mini quiches. Since I wanted to experiment before I made too many lunches I decided to do them for super. I figured this was a dinner that easily customizable to the individual.

I was in a hurry and didn’t want to make a crust so I decided that I would use hash-brown potatoes as a crust but also gave my kids the option of no crust.

I used a standard muffin/cupcake pan too make the quiches. Besides eggs hash browns and a little milk, the chosen fillings were onion, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, chicken, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, and cheese.

I sprayed and floured the muffin cups. I then put approximately 1 to 1 ½  tablespoons of hash-browns on the bottom each cup that was going to have a hash-brown crust for the adults I added about a half tablespoon of chopped onion and I also added some seeded  chopped tomatoes (about I teaspoon). I put this in the oven at 450 for 5 minutes.


Meanwhile I cut up the cooked bacon, the cooked chicken, the artichoke hearts, spinach and mushrooms. I mixed 1 egg per “muffin” with a little milk. I was using shredded cheese left over from a meal earlier in the week. Once the five minutes was up I took the muffin tin out of the oven and started to layer the ingredients in the cups as per the requests of the various members of my family. In the end before I put in the egg mixture there was ¼ to ⅓ cup of fillings in each muffin cup. I lowered the temperature on the oven to 350.

I filled each muffin cup so each cup was about ¾ of the way full. I then sprinkled more cheese on the top of each eggy cup. I put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.


My son declared his crustless chicken and cheese quiche superb. My daughter said her bacon and cheese potato crust ones were delicious. My husband and I both enjoyed ours. Mine was veggies and cheese his was veggies (no artichoke hearts) and bacon.


In the future I think we will brown the onion and the hash browns before putting them in the oven skipping the step. I thin the flouring of the pan was essential as the quiche muffins did release well.

We also think that more fillings might be a good idea and possibly a little seasoning.


I am really enjoying this adventure of baking something every week. Next up baked custard.

No comments:

Post a Comment